Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A lesson learned

On Saturday, we decided to take Cambria to Explora. It's like a hands on museum thing for kids. I was so excited because it was the first time we have taken her where she could actually do some of the things there. So, we get there and we are looking at this really cool water fountain thingy and of course I whip out my camera to catalog our experince. Wait...what...no batteries! I had forgotten to charge my camera's batteries. What a bummer! Oh well, she of course had fun anyway, and I'm sure we will go back soon. It was a fun day....which leads us to our not so fun night. I put Bria down for bed about 7:15 (she was worn out). Nate and I cozy up on the couch to get our LOST on, when what do I hear, a hoarse, coughing, crying baby about 9:30. Oh man, she is sick again! I hate Winter! She has a cough, little fever and a runny nose. Needless to say, we had a long night. The next day we juggled our lessons in church and keeping Cambria home (about 4 trips back and forth) and then of course, I got called in to work that night at 7. What a day! I got home about 11:30 and tried my best to console a grumpy, congested baby girl. She finally falls asleep about 1. We're going to the Dr tomorrow!
Fast forward to Monday morning...Cambria is awake, still a bit fussy and coughing some, but wanting to play, no fever, she even drank a whole bottle. woo-hoo. we're on the road to good health again. Maybe just a little cold?? Maybe she doesn't need to see the doc after all. My SIL calls me and lets me know that her little boy has been coughing for the past few weeks, but only at night and he's fine during the day, no fever, nothing. But, the doctor still wants to see him. Hmmmm..maybe I should just call and get her seen.
Finally after waiting for an hour at the Dr.'s office, we get the diagnosis: A sick baby girl! Two ear infections and bad, yucky sounding, congested lungs. Antibiotics, here we come! Good thing my sis-in-law called and gave me the heads up.
As a nurse, we are taught to look for signs...assess the pt...do they look ok?...what are the facts...where is your evidence? Sometimes you go on a gut feeling if you feel something, but rarely will a Dr. back you with out the hard facts. I felt I should take her in, but thought to myslef, "No, she's not really acting sick. I don't want to be a 'paranoid' mom." But, she's not really acting herself either. I guess I need to rely more on my gut as a mother, rather than just the clinical facts, especially when it comes to my daughter. Who cares if I am paranoid.
Moral: When in doubt, get your baby checked out!
The end.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Oh Becca they she is so cute. You look beautiful as usual too. THanks for the tip too. I am taking my baby to the doctor today to get her checked out. I think she might have the same thing.